Friday, July 22, 2005

O'reilly on BBC

This rant was meant to have been published a while back, but I had no time to do so. But here goes.

After the attacks on London 2 weeks ago, Bill O'reilly (I genuinely love his show) went on a rant about the "sanitizing" of the attacks by the likes of the BBC and other leftwing news organizations. He was particularly incensed by the fact that - according to him and others - the BBC had chosen not to use the word "terrorist" and would substitute it with "bombers" "suicide bombers" and the like. Now, I do not know if this is true, but I am an avid viewer of the BBC world news (comes @ 3 am out here in the left coast) and the folks have continued to use the term "terrorist" with regularity. However, I will let the BBC news director answer these queries more directly: http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1527063,00.html

I personally have no qualms with the word terrorist, whether it is used or net used makes no difference to me, I know that the attacks in London were terrorist acts, I do not need someone to tell me so, or to continuously drum that word into my head, if the BBC wants to use "bomber" etc.. Those words carry the same weight as "terrorist" and I see no big deal with the change of words. The same way I have ne problem with Fox saying "homicide bombers" instead of "suicide", I know they're pandering to the BUSH administration (which introduced the phrase a few years ago, but hardly ever uses the word) I have no problem with it. It's all semantics to me, and if people are going to be haggling over words, then I dare say we have greater problems on our hands. Whether u call them "terrorists" or "bombers" they're one in the same thing, I doubt that the phraseology matters to the regular folk, they car about making the streets safe from wanton acts of destruction, that is where our focus should be, fighting this guys, not on what word to use.

On another note, it is interesting that O'reilly and uncle Bob Mugabe see the BBC in the same light. As O'reilly is prone of saying, if everyone is attacking you, then you must be doing the right thing. And BBC is doing a great job, I learn more (about the world) from 30 mins of BBC World, than I do from 24 hours of FOX NEWS primetime or any other American news outlet. Kudos to the BBC, keep on keeping on

9 Comments:

Blogger Afromusing said...

aki githush did i read that right? u love his show? i usually have to restrain myself from shouting expletives and using words like..oh u know what.. let me borrow his words..."Clown", "sleazoid" etc. Did you catch the show where he took Senator Biden's words, snip sliced and regurgitated?
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/06/09.html#a3367
wacha i stop before i sully your blog. Its all good though. nice post.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Afromusing said...

oops here is the
link

4:57 PM  
Blogger Githush said...

"i usually have to restrain myself from shouting expletives and using words like..oh u know what.. let me borrow his words..."Clown", "sleazoid" etc."

I do not agree with all Mr. O says, and I do actually watch him, just so that he can drive me crazy. I guess I am a masochist, I enjoy the mental anguish he (and other Fox News folks), sometimes (sometimes) cause me to go through.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:37 AM  
Blogger bob said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home