Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Of Nobel Winners and Presidential debates

I saw a funny cartoon on Monday's Daily Nation (Kenyan daily), it shows how people are so happy (now) to be associated with Nobel Laureate Wangari Maathai http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgopinion.asp?categoryid=4 . I do not know if it is human nature to attach ones self to famous people (or at least find tenous links) but I too I'm guilty of doing this. Therefore this week has been a very good one for me in this sense. I can boast links to two nobel laureates: As a Kenya with of the same cultural background, I can claim a link to Prof. Maatahi. And as a student at (and in the same department) I can claim a link to the winner of the Economics Nobel Prize (Professor Edward Prescott). To cap my achievements, the last presidential debate is being held in my school, in a building that I worked at about two years ago (Grady Gammage Auditorium). This has been one of the most momentus weeks in a long time. I am glad I am a Kenyan, and a student at Arizona State University.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home